1. the extraction of building stone or slate from an open surface quarry
1. a person who is the aim of an attack (especially a victim of ridicule or exploitation) by some hostile person or influence; "he fell prey to muggers"; "everyone was fair game"; "the target of a manhunt"
(synonym) prey, target, fair game
2. a surface excavation for extracting stone or slate; "a British term for `quarry' is `stone pit'"
(synonym) pit, stone pit
(hypernym) excavation, hole in the ground
(hyponym) chalkpit, chalk pit
3. animal hunted or caught for food
(hypernym) animal, animate being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
1. extract (something such as stones) from or as if from a quarry; "quarry marble"
(hypernym) exploit, tap
(entail) dig, delve, cut into, turn over
(derivation) pit, stone pit