1. put before; "I submit to you that the accused is guilty"
(synonym) submit, state, posit
(hypernym) propose, suggest, advise
2. insist on having one's opinions and rights recognized; "Women should assert themselves more!"
(hypernym) behave, acquit, bear, deport, conduct, comport, carry
3. evoke or call forth, with or as if by magic; "raise the specter of unemployment"; "he conjured wild birds in the air"; "stir a disturbance"; "call down the spirits from the mountain"
(synonym) raise, conjure, conjure up, invoke, evoke, stir, call down, arouse, bring up, call forth
(hypernym) make, create
(hyponym) curse, beshrew, damn, bedamn, anathemize, anathemise, imprecate, maledict
(verb-group) provoke, evoke, call forth, kick up
4. cause to protrude or as if to protrude; "stick one's hand out of the window"; "stick one's nose into other people's business"
(hypernym) put, set, place, pose, position, lay
5. propose as a candidate for some honor
(synonym) nominate, put up
(hypernym) nominate, propose