1. having a debilitating effect; "an exhausting job in the hot sun"
2. producing exhaustion; "an exhausting march"; "the visit was especially wearing"
(synonym) tiring, wearing, wearying
1. gases ejected from an engine as waste products
(synonym) exhaust fumes, fumes
2. system consisting of the parts of an engine through which burned gases or steam are discharged
(synonym) exhaust system
(part-holonym) automobile engine
(part-meronym) exhaust manifold
1. wear out completely; "This kind of work exhausts me"; "I'm beat"; "He was all washed up after the exam"
(synonym) wash up, beat, tucker, tucker out
(hypernym) tire, wear upon, tire out, wear, weary, jade, wear out, outwear, wear down, fag out, fag, fatigue
2. use up (resources or materials); "this car consumes a lot of gas"; "We exhausted our savings"; "They run through 20 bottles of wine a week"
(synonym) consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, run through, wipe out
(hypernym) spend, expend, drop
(hyponym) run out
(verb-group) take, occupy, use up
3. deplete; "exhaust one's savings"; "We quickly played out our strength"
(synonym) run down, play out, sap, tire
(hypernym) consume, eat up, use up, eat, deplete, run through, wipe out
(verb-group) play out
4. use up the whole supply of; "We have exhausted the food supplies"
5. create a vacuum in (a bulb, flask, reaction vessel, etc.)