1. separated into parts or pieces; "opinions are divided"
(similar) apart(p), separate, separated
2. having a median strip or island between lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions; "a divided highway"
3. distributed in portions (often equal) on the basis of a plan or purpose
(synonym) divided up, shared, shared out
1. a serious disagreement between two groups of people (typically producing tension or hostility)
(hypernym) disagreement, dissension, dissonance
2. a ridge of land that separates two adjacent river systems
(synonym) watershed, water parting
(hyponym) continental divide
1. separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
(synonym) split, split up, separate, dissever, carve up
(antonym) unite, unify
(hypernym) change integrity
2. perform a division; "Can you divide 49 by seven?"
(hypernym) calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure
3. act as a barrier between; stand between; "The mountain range divides the two countries"
(derivation) watershed, water parting
4. come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
(synonym) separate, part
5. make a division or separation
(hyponym) partition, zone
(derivation) division, partition, partitioning, segmentation, sectionalization, sectionalisation
6. force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
(synonym) separate, disunite, part
(hypernym) move, displace
(hyponym) compartmentalize, compartmentalise, cut up
(cause) separate, part