1. having lost your job
(synonym) discharged, fired, laid-off, pink-slipped
1. bar from attention or consideration; "She dismissed his advances"
(synonym) disregard, brush aside, brush off, discount, push aside, ignore
(hyponym) slight, cold-shoulder
2. cease to consider; put out of judicial consideration; "This case is dismissed!"
(synonym) throw out
(derivation) judgment of dismissal, judgement of dismissal, dismissal
3. stop associating with; "They dropped her after she had a child out of wedlock"
(synonym) send packing, send away, drop
(hypernym) fire, give notice, can, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate
4. terminate the employment of; "The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
(synonym) fire, give notice, can, give the axe, send away, sack, force out, give the sack, terminate
(derivation) dismissal, dismission, discharge, firing, liberation, release, sack, sacking
5. end one's encounter with somebody by causing or permitting the person to leave; "I was dismissed after I gave my report"
(synonym) usher out
(hypernym) say farewell
6. declare void; "The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections"
(hypernym) change, alter, modify
(verb-group) dissolve, break up