1. a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck
(hypernym) acoustic device
(hyponym) church bell
(part-meronym) clapper, tongue
2. a push button at an outer door that gives a ringing or buzzing signal when pushed
(synonym) doorbell, buzzer
(hypernym) push button, push, button
(hyponym) night bell
3. the sound of a bell being struck; "saved by the bell"; "she heard the distant toll of church bells"
4. (nautical) each of the eight half-hour units of nautical time signaled by strokes of a ship's bell; eight bells signals 4:00, 8:00, or 12:00 o'clock, either a.m. or p.m.
(synonym) ship's bell
(hypernym) time unit, unit of time
(classification) seafaring, navigation, sailing
5. the shape of a bell
(synonym) bell shape, campana
(hypernym) curve, curved shape
6. a percussion instrument consisting of vertical metal tubes of different lengths that are struck with a hammer
(synonym) chime, gong
(hypernym) percussion instrument, percussive instrument
7. the flared opening of a tubular device
(part-holonym) wind instrument, wind
1. attach a bell to; "bell cows"